About Me

My photo
Vacaville, California
I started this to chronicle our first tandem bike tour. Not sure where it will go from here. I do know that where I go I hope Deborah goes. "Life is not just a destination but a journey. While the expedition can be long and arduous, it can be full of beauty and pleasure as well"

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Set backs

It's been awhile since I posted on this blog. Since that time a lot of things have happened that I could have written about but didn't for some reason or another.  I read my wife's blog tonight and felt compelled.  Since that last post we took another long ride. Not as long or wonderful but fun. We rode from Austin to Shiner to Victoria to Cuero, TX. We wound up getting a ride back to Austin because our rack was broken and we couldn't fix it.  It was a fun ride.  2010 to mid 2011 found me very busy at work and my ride training took a back seat. Since July I have worked really hard to get back in shape.  I tried out single time trialing for the first time this year.  Rode two with my regular road bike and then borrowed a nice TT bike for the third.  I wound up on the last effort with a 24:32 on a 10 mile TT.  I was happy but could have done better and was looking to beat that.  I also accepted a challenge from my wife to run the Big Sur Half Marathon this November the day before my 58th birthday. Having never been a runner, this was a big challenge and I have been working a 10 week plan to culminate in the big run.  Last Tuesday I hit a bit of a speed bump in the road of life.  Tuesday was a rest day from running.  We decided we were going to do a quick 20 mile ride with friends to spin the legs out and get a little exercise in.  About 10 miles into the ride I pulled a bonehead stunt.  I finished my pull up front, dropped back and joined the back end.  We were running between 22 and 24 with little effort.  I looked down briefly and when I looked up, I was overlapping the wheel in front. A hard tire rub threw me straight into the road, shoulder first.  As I slid along the road, I could hear the pavement removing pieces of my helmet while feeling the road remove pieces of my skin.  I stood up but had to immediately sit back down.  My shoulder was definitely not right and I was hoping it was just dislocated.  After a ride home from a good Samaratan and a trip to the ER and waiting for a couple hours I found it was not just dislocated but my clavicle was broken at the distal end.  Bottom line is I am scheduled for surgery on Monday to have plates and pins put in because it is so far out of alignment it will never heal without it.  At first I thought that was the end of the 1/2 Marathon but I put that out of my mind quickly.  I ran 4 miles on Friday and 6.5 today.  I only missed 2.5 miles of running this week and consider that okay considering all the doctor visits and the pain.  I will run 3 tomorrow, surgery on Monday, than recover Tuesday. I then get back on schedule with 5 on Weds, 3 on Thurs then 8 on Saturday.  I did 6.5 today and that is the most I have ever run in my life.  I refuse to let this stop me from my goal.  I also am setting up the trainer to ride because I can't ride on the road with one arm right now.  That would not go over well with Deborah and I eill see how things go from there.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment